If you're a solitaire enthusiast, you're in the right place. Because if anyone knows solitaire, it's us. We created the Microsoft Solitaire Collection that comes pre-installed on Microsoft Windows. So, you know that our free solitaire games are the best classic card games around.
Playing solitaire online is a great pastime that provides people with countless hours of fun all over the world.
Solitaire is a game of skill that demands real thought to achieve a high score, often requiring that you think several steps ahead if you want to win with a solid time.
Testing yourself and your solitaire skill foundations with free online solitaire not only gives you a chance to improve your understanding of this varied game, but it also gives you the experience you need to play live games.
Whatever type of solitaire you want to play, we have you covered. So choose your variation and start playing the best free online solitaire games!
The Rules of Solitaire
Did you know that of the numerous variations of Solitaire, the most popular version is Klondike Solitaire? This version is so popular that what people refer to as “classic” Solitaire rules are in fact Klondike game rules.
While each type of Solitaire has its own unique play, there are some general instructions that guide each game. Use these when playing any free Solitaire game online.
- Requirements: A standard Solitaire game uses one 52-card pack, and game play starts after the board is set up. This is done automatically when you play online Solitaire.
- The Deal: There are four different types of piles in Solitaire: the Tableau, the Foundations, the Stock or “Hand” pile, and the Talon or “Waste”pile.
- Game Objective: The ultimate objective of the game is to fill all piles with the cards in the deck.
- Game Play: The game involves dealing cards from a shuffled deck into a prescribed arrangement, from which the player attempts to reorder the deck by suit and rank. They can only move cards under the restrictions provided.
- The rank of a Solitaire card game is: K (high), Q, J, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, A (low).
Tips on How to Play Solitaire
One of the key tips for playing solitaire is to know the rules for the version you're playing. Some variants of solitaire allow the stockpile, where players draw new cards from when they have no available moves, to draw three cards in sequence rather than one.
You can play many different types of solitaire card games online and each one demands that you play in a slightly (even if it's very subtle) different way.
But there are some tips you can use for any variant of solitaire:
- Be patient and really think about each move you make
- Don't clock watch when you're learning the game
- Know the terms for the different card piles in the game
Once you’ve got up to speed with the rules of the variant(s) you're going to play, it's a great idea to put all your knowledge into practice by playing free online solitaire.
Your ultimate objective is to stack the four suits of cards in descending face-value from Ace followed by the king, down and through three and two. Which suits must be matched will depend on the game you’re playing. Spider solitaire, for example, requires players to match suits of alternating colors into stacks. King card faces are generally required to occupy an empty slot on the game board.
At the end, players must have four clean piles with a top card of two in whichever corresponding suite is necessary.
Tips for How to Win Solitaire Games
Practicing patience is the best tip for winning solitaire games.
Think of solitaire in the same way you would about a game of chess.
This means you should plan moves carefully before you make them and consider how their impact on your next two, three, or four moves.
Adopting this approach is the closest thing to a surefire tip for how to win when playing solitaire online, or with a real deck of cards. For the best results, you should have a clear strategy and not waste moves at random. Instead, focus on each turn and plan the order of multiple moves you need to build the foundation for a win.
Is Solitaire a Game of Luck or Skill?
Solitaire is most certainly a game of skill.
To be able to consistently make the correct moves you need to know the object of the version of solitaire you're playing, then skillfully apply this to the game scenarios you find yourself in.
However, that's not to say there's no luck involved in solitaire.
Even the most experienced players will make moves (at least on occasion) without knowing exactly how things will pan out—it's inevitable when you play a game where each action you take impacts a series of future moves.
So, to win at solitaire, you need a combination of luck and skill.
What Is the Least Amount of Moves Needed to Win Solitaire?
If you're playing traditional Solitaire then 52 is the least amount of moves you can make to win a game.
However, the number of moves you have to play depends entirely on the version of solitaire you're playing—some of our harder games need more than 52 moves.
If you're playing one of the many great variations of solitaire, then it pays to check out what your fellow players are saying, and our Facebook page is a great starting point. This will give you some realistic targets to work towards.
The History of Solitaire
Historically, the term 'solitaire' refers to any card game played by a single player.
This genre of games most likely originated in Germany or Scandinavia in the 18th century and then slowly spread throughout the remainder of Europe.
In the late 19th century, a version of solitaire called Klondike rose in popularity among prospectors in North America. Klondike solitaire was named for the Western Canadian region and its famous gold rush.
Klondike has continued to grow in popularity and is now the most common solitaire game in the world. To most people, the term 'solitaire' no longer refers to the genre of single-player card games but rather just to Klondike, or classic solitaire.
Today, solitaire has many different variations, with new versions being regularly released, so there isn’t a shortage of opportunities to play solitaire for free. We offer updated versions of these variations and you can play each of these now by trying out our free solitaire games at the top of this web page.
The Benefits Of Playing Solitaire Online
Solitaire is played all over the world, and free Solitaire is even more popular as an online game. We can think of many reasons why: .
- It’s soothing: Playing Solitaire free online is a great way to relax as the soft mental activity required helps the mind enter a meditative state. Put on a game during your break at the office and it’ll take your mind off the stresses of work. The best free solitaire sites, like Arkadium, are simple to use. You can start playing in seconds. What isn’t there to love?
- It’s fun: Solitaire is an easy way to chase away the boredom of being idle. The low-risk stakes make it perfect for situations when you need to kill time such as on the commute to work or in waiting rooms.
- It teaches patience: Solitaire is not called the patience game for nothing. To play it well, one learns that it’s best to hold your ground and wait instead of acting on the moment to get a higher “return on investment”.
- It helps develop strategy: While not as complex as a game like chess, Solitaire is still a puzzle that requires strategy if you hope to win by something other than luck. Learning how to employ the right moves improves your strategizing skills in general.
The mental benefits of playing Solitaire are subtle and often barely noticeable. Lovers of the game can master their minds and play solitaire online whenever they want with our free Solitaire games — no download or account required!