June 6th, 2022
10 Games Like Wordle You Should Try Right Now
The electrifying success of Wordle has taken the world by storm. The game became a global sensation seemingly overnight, and millions of people are now eagerly anticipating the daily challenge that awaits.
The game’s premise is incredibly simple: you get to guess a single five-letter word per day and have six guesses to do so. You also get hints about what letters are in the word and whether they are in the right place.
But for many, the daily Wordle challenge is no longer enough, and they’re looking for other games like Wordle to keep their minds sharp and thoroughly entertained.
If you’re one of those people, you’re in luck; we’ll share a list of other word games like Wordle you can enjoy while you await the next Wordle daily word game. But first, let’s look at how Wordle started, why it became so popular, and why playing games similar to Wordle is so addictive (and beneficial).
The Power of Wordle
The biggest surprise regarding Wordle is just how quickly it became popular. The game’s website launched as recently as October and was initially played by a few dozen players. Then, in several months, the game caught on at an incredible pace and already had hundreds of thousands of daily users in January of 2022.
The game was created by Josh Wardle, who named the game as a play on words with his last name. The entire project was not initially meant to be played by the masses. The author created the game for his partner, who had a passion for other Wordle-type games and various word puzzles.
He then shared the game with family and was open to the public, it was only a matter of time until a game so engaging and addicting became the global sensation it is today.
But what made Wordle such a success? After all, there are countless games like Wordle online, and none of them have enjoyed such a rapid rise to fame. The primary reason for the game’s success can be traced to its distinguishing feature.
While most online games want the user to play for as long as possible, Wordle takes a different approach. The game is based on scarcity, with only one word being revealed per day. Instead of the game becoming virtually endless, it has a clearly defined beginning and end each day, which many users are drawn to.
Today, this principle has caught on. Inspired by the success of Wordle, similar games have sprung into existence, offering a twist on the original game and serving to satisfy the craving for puzzles that a single Wordle challenge might no longer satisfy.
The great part about it is that games like Wordle are not just addictive, but they can also be beneficial. Let’s explore how below.
The Benefits of Playing Word Games like Wordle
There are many reasons why playing games like Wordle online is a meaningful way to challenge yourself every day. Countless studies have shown that various word puzzles are useful for memory, reasoning, attention, and other vital cognitive functions in all aspects of life.
Here are a few of the benefits that games like Wordle can offer:
- When you play a Wordle-like game, you actively engage your brain in a dynamic activity that requires problem-solving, identifying patterns, and various other skills that need to be continually stimulated to remain in good shape. This is especially true as we get older since brains need constant stimulation to stay sharp. Regularly challenging your brain with mental exercise is just as essential as physical excercise.
- Another benefit of games like Wordle is the ability to grow your vocabulary. Every day, you can learn new words to apply in your daily life. This can help you become better at communicating and expressing your thoughts.
- Finally, with a quick game of Wordle, you can create a daily challenge for yourself, which can be a rewarding experience that makes you happier. This is further enhanced by the social element of being able to discuss the day’s word with friends and colleagues.
10 Fun Games Like Wordle
If you’re looking for other games like Wordle to enjoy, you’re in luck. There are many exciting games you can try that will provide you with the same (or even more engaging) experience as Wordle.
- Hurdle. When it comes to the Wordle game, similar games have become abundant. Perhaps the most creative spin on the original game is Hurdle. It has the same basic principle, except you need to get over five ‘hurdles’ instead of just one, with each new word using the letters from the last one as clues.
- Arkadium Word Wipe Game. Another top-rated game that’s a lot like Wordle is the Arkadium Word Wipe Game. You need to find and connect words in a grid of letters, removing as many tiles as possible to collect points. You also have a timer for each level and can utilize bombs to clear away some of the letters you have to work with.
- Outspell Spelling Game. If you enjoy spelling games, then one of the best games like Wordle to consider is Outspell, which requires you to drag tiles onto the board to spell different words for points. You can also exchange your tiles if you can’t find any more words, but the fun is trying to get as many words as possible with the letter options you have available. The process is similar to working with the guessed letters in Wordle to think of new words in many ways.
- Free Daily Word Search Puzzle. As the name implies, the Free Daily Word Search Puzzle is all about the daily challenge of finding words in a grid. The fun twist with this game is that the words are often themed. For instance, on May 4, also known as Star Wars Day, which originated from the pun, “May the 4th be with you,” players would get a Star Wars-themed challenge where they’d need to find relevant words.
- Thomas Joseph Crossword. Even though Wordle has created a new way to guess words, that doesn’t mean that the classics are no longer fun. The Thomas Joseph Crossword can be the perfect game for those who want a daily, high-quality crossword that challenges their knowledge and word-finding ability in various areas. But beware. The crossword can be tricky, so be ready for a challenge.
- Stan Newman’s Easy Crossword. If you want an easier and more casual crossword, you can’t go wrong with Stan Newman’s Easy Crossword. However, don’t be deceived by the name — the game will throw various challenges and tricky questions your way.
- Daily Commuter Crossword. The Daily Commuter Crossword is designed for those who want a challenge that can be completed during a typical commute on a bus or subway train. Like in other games like Wordle, you’ll need to guess the words based on your clues correctly. You can also utilize the letters from different words that overlap.
- Arkadium’s Codeword. The most significant difference between traditional crosswords and games like Wordle is that the latter don’t have clues (besides the letters and their place in the word). Arkadium’s Codeword does a great job of combining the two concepts, using the grid of a crossword to give clues about a letter’s position and requiring the player to find the correct letters that are not yet discovered.
- Arkadium’s Fill-Ins. Another intriguing twist on a crossword is Arkadium’s Fill-Ins, which requires you to fit a provided list of words into a crossword grid. The big challenge of this game is not guessing the words themselves but rather figuring out how to fit them in predetermined slots to get them to match with each other.
- Scramble Words Game. The central premise behind the Scramble Words Game is simple — you need to drag the five letters you are given to create as many words to fill the grid as possible. The more words you can guess, the more points you get.
Play Daily Games for Free with Arkadium
With the overwhelming popularity of Wordle, it’s no surprise that people are seeking more games like it to fill their day and challenge their minds.
At Arkadium, you’ll find a range of other games like Wordle that provide you with various engaging word challenges that you will surely enjoy. Check out our free games today!