Sports Games Overview
From basketball to pool, we have you covered with our collection of free online sports games! Our best-in-class titles are great for kids and adults alike and are sure to be a … home run!
Fun Facts About Sports Games
- Although it was not the first sports video game (that would be Tennis for Two, release in 1958), Pong — released in 1972 — is the first sports game that really took off and entered the mainstream.
- The first sports video game that incorporated an announcer is 1983’s Intellivision World Series Baseball.
- While the NBA began using instant replay after the 2001-02 season, the first basketball video game to incorporate instant replay — Bulls vs. Lakers & the NBA Playoffs — had them beat by 10 years.
- Electronic Arts’ 1987 game Earl Weaver Baseball, which used realistic (for its time) graphics and gameplay, is often considered one of the best baseball games ever created.
- Football-coach-turned-football-sportscaster John Madden lent his name and likeliness to 1988’s John Madden Football. Fast forward to today, and the sports game has become a juggernaut that’s sold more than 130 million copies worldwide, generating over $4 billion in sales.
- Wii Sports, a sports game for Nintendo’s Wii console, is a motion-detection-based game that paved the way for other motion-based sports games including Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games and Wii Fit.